A loyal worker is working under you for 7(seven) days and you have only one gold bar to pay him. You must pay the worker at the end of each day. Otherwise, he wont come for next day’s work. One more constraint is you have to make only two cuts in the gold bar. How can you pay him at the end of each day ?
Hint: Barter System
If we try to cut the gold bar into seven equal pieces we cannot pay him each day. To find the solution we have to think differently.
- First cut : Cut the Gold bar into 1/7 and 6/7.
- Give the 1/7 gold piece to worker at the end of first day.
- Second Cut : Cut the remaining Gold bar into 2/7 & 6/7
- Give the 2/7 gold piece at the end of second day and get back the 1/7 gold piece.
- Now, at the end of third day give the 1/7 gold piece. Now you have 4/7 gold piece with you.
- Now, at the end of fourth day give the 4/7 gold piece and get back 1/7 and 2/7 gold pieces.
- Now, at the end of fifth day give the 1/7 gold piece to the worker.
- Now at the end of sixth day give the 2/7 gold piece and get back the 1/7 gold piece.
- Now at the last day give the 1/7 gold piece to the worker.